Tuesday, November 12, 2013

LIGHTHOUSE AND REFUGES


HI Everyone!

Growing up on the East Coast of Florida and living in coastal areas most of my life I’ve a great appreciation for lighthouses.  There’s something about lighthouses that grab my imagination and appeal to the romantic side.  I imagine ships at sea and the bright beam from the lighthouses that keep ships from dashing upon the rocks, and I think about the hardy souls who were the light-keepers and what a life that must have been!

One of the first lighthouses I visited was in St. Augustine, Florida.  My best friend Bonnie and I went on a painting adventure and ended up at the lighthouse.  We unpacked our chairs and proceeded to sketch the lighthouse, all was well until people started to stop by and wanted to see our work.  It was too much for me, I closed my book and that was that. 



When I have the opportunity to travel, I’m always on the lookout for lighthouses! Here’s one that’s in my neighborhood so to speak, it isn’t a lighthouse like what you think but a House of Refuge.  There were many shipwrecks along this coastline and the House of Refuge is the only remaining one of ten Refuges built along the East Coast just for that very purpose.  You can read more about it HERE.  





Most lighthouses have great history and stories that go along with them.   I've found most historical lighthouses have a gift shop worth browsing in and the books they carry about the lighthouse and keepers are wonderful reads.  

Thanks for stopping by and come back soon as I will be sharing more lighthouse drawings and photos each week. 

Grab a pencil, get outside and sketch! 

Have fun!

Suzy














5 comments:

Julierose said...

I like your lighthouse sketch and the one in color, too. My DH has a thing for lighthouses; up here in the NE we often travel the coast and always stop in at lighthouses...there is something comforting about them, I think...hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Oh Suzy, I think Light Houses are so fasinating. The House of Refuge story is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. I must agree with Julie that I like your Light House sketches. I looking forward to seeing and reading about more. Linda E.

Anonymous said...

We have lots of great lighthouses around here....love to find out their histories too. Nice sketches. xox

Andria said...

Lighthouses ARE a great inspiration for sketching. I understand your discomfort at having your work checked out by passers-by, but I have to confess that I am always intensely interested when I see artists at work...I always want to check out what they are doing. It's kind of a double-standard for me: Let me see your work, but don't you dare check out mine!

Anne Payne said...

I love lighthouses! This one is very pretty.