Tuesday, July 23, 2013

SKETCH BOOK MOJO RETURNING

Hi Everyone!

The weather this summer has just been so weird, really. Sweltering heat up north and cooler temps and lots of rain here where I live! That means the water in the pool is cooler than the usual bath water we get this time of year.  So, I've been inside sewing and painting this summer, which is okay with me because I love to be in my studio.  

Yesterday I was cleaning up the "art cart", which is a portable kitchen island on wheels that is used to hold supplies and kiddie craft stuff. The top has a great piece of marble to use for printing paper with the Gelli Plate (sticks to it) and space to spread out your painting supplies.  But I digress, I was cleaning out the cart and found a few old newsprint sketch pads.  Don't you love it when you find stuff like that? I do. It is like a trip down memory lane getting to see the forgotten sketches from a class. I'd like to share a few with you.  


As you might know, I've been participating in a few challenges with multi-media and haven't spent a great deal of time painting or drawing. 


Drawing/sketching is something I'd like to get back into the habit of doing on a regular basis and to be truthful, practice is the only way my skills will improve. 


 I did most of these sketches during a class I took one summer at the local high school, the instructor is a well know artist in our area and she teaches the adult education course in drawing.  She would demo a drawing technique and then we were on our own to find a subject from her pile of magazine pages and draw it.  Then she would critique our drawings individually. 


 It was a fun class with lots of people with various talents from beginners (like me) to advanced.

 Lots of different mediums were used so we had a chance to experiment and learn what medium we liked using the most. I loved pen and ink, charcoal and pastels. 
All the drawings here were done with Ritmo charcoal pencils. 


Finding this sketch pad gave me the boost needed to make me me want to grab the nearest pencil and spend time with my sketch pad.  Quiet time working out a drawing.


I've promised myself to start drawing or sketching something every day. I'll let you know how that works out. 

Happy Sketching and Drawing! 
Suzy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet sketches! Love the orchid. xox

Anne Payne said...

whoa! I always knew you could draw but had no idea you could sketch like this. I LOVE these!!!