Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Vanilla Socks To Tadpoles

Hi there!

 Like anything else in life learning requires some basic knowledge and training to learn the mechanics of a new skill.  All kinds of subjects interest me and I enjoy learning new things.  Recently, while learning to knit socks and mastering the skills necessary to knit them, I've discovered that knitting socks is something I really love doing.
Vanilla socks using striped yarn

 After knitting my ninth pair of socks, it's time to branch out and try something new. Lest you think I'm ditching my new found knitting skills for another hobby, forget about it!  I am looking to take my knitting game to a new level!!! 

Vanilla socks are what sock knitters call a sock pattern without a design on the front or back of the sock. The vanilla sock is basic stockinette stitch knit in the round on circular needles.  Believe me, knitting a "vanilla" sock is enough of a challenge for a beginning sock maker learning new techniques. Nothing wrong with knitting vanilla socks either, I love knitting them especially with a variegated or self striping yarn, but I'm ready to try something more challenging now that I've got my basic training skills down pat (or pretty close to down pat).  I'm ready for a sock with pattern.


Now, mind you this means finding a pattern that is simple enough to read, memorize and execute within a reasonable amount of time.  Knitting at the end of a long day is my "down time" and the last thing I want to do is try to memorize anything too complicated.

As I've probably mentioned before, my favorite source for patterns is Ravelry.com *, spending time on this site is such a pleasure!  This is my Go To source for knitting patterns and where I found my next sock adventure....

The pattern I chose is by Jenna Swanson called "Tadpoles" and is a bit more challenging than I originally had in mind but the pattern spoke to me and since I'm not newbie knitter, it seemed doable. WARNING: Tadpoles in not a beginner pattern, if you are new to knitting save this one for later when your skills have "matured" and select a very simple pattern. 

The yarn is called Tide Pool by Lorna's Laces in fingering weight.
Tadpoles
It's a beautiful hand dyed yarn made of 80% Merino wool & 20% nylon.  This yarn colorway shows off the beautiful and intricate pattern design of Tadpoles so well.

My knitting skills are intermediate level, however I'm not well versed in chart reading so I was happy Jenna Swanson's pattern "Tadpoles" includes written instructions along with a chart.

 Learning to read a chart is next on my list of  TO LEARN but for now I am using the written instructions and my Knitter's Pride Magma Knitting Fold-Up Pattern Holder to keep track  of the pattern rows. 
Knitter's Pride Magma Knitting Fold-Up Pattern Holder, 19.65 X 11.81-Inches
Have you ever used one of these?  They are pretty nifty and really help to keep track of your pattern and the current row.  Reminds me of the magnetic pattern holders used in cross stitch only this one stands upright and folds up to keep your pattern safe when not in use or if you are knitting on the go.

What have you been making this summer? I'd love to hear about your knitting projects!

Speaking of keeping track of patterns, who knew there was so much to keep track of with Knitting? I'll be talking about this in another post so stay tuned.


Until next time...

Bee Creative,

Suzy

* Ravelry is a great website to discover new designers and to see what everyone is making. You'll need to sign up for an account, which is free and then you'll have access to patterns for knitting and crochet, many patterns are free and some are not.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Hi Susie! I just saw that you replied to my comment on your last post inside the post and I missed it :( I'll send you a separate email but I do want you to know that I love the socks you are making. And by the way, I've seen your knitting and would consider you above 'intermediate level', my friend.

Breesmimi said...

Hey Jeanna, thank you for your sweet comment on knitting, I feel like an amateur mostly. The socks are challenging and that was before surgery, for now they are waiting for my strength to return. Hope to see you at knitting group soon!

Anne Payne said...

I am in awe of your knitting talent! I love my socks too!!! I think the tadpole ones are so cute!!! *hint *hint :-) You never cease to amaze me, sister. Love you!

Stephanie said...

I agree with Anne, I am in awe of your knitting talent! I would love to try my hand at knitting....someday :)

I hope you had a nice Labor Day, dear Susie. Enjoy your week! Hugs!

UNKNOWN said...

I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! calcetines ciclismo