Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Sock Journey


Hi there!
The last time I posted in January, I was in search of a simple beginner's sock pattern, determined to try again to learn to knit socks.  This is not a new endeavor for me since the previous year I attempted to learn to knit socks.  Since I've always been a do-it-yourself kinda girl, self taught mainly by watching or reading How To books, etc. it seemed logical for me to sign up to take a knitting course and I found one online to try.  In fact, the knitting was pretty darned easy until the very end of the process when the heel was added in after the sock was completed. That's where things went south for me. While trying to put in the after thought heel my stitches accidentally slipped off the SIZE ONE needles! For me, it was a bit of a disaster because I was unable to pick the stitches back up again (tiny stitches, tiny needles & bad eyesight) without twisting and losing some stitches in the process. Not that I didn't try, mind you but the effort didn't seem worth the aggravation I was having at the time. Sometimes you need to know when to "let it go".  THAT was my first attempt to knit socks...not a complete fail....but very frustrating, enough so that I put it aside until THIS year.
 Once again, my 2018 goal was to learn to knit socks and I refused to give up my desire of learning to knit socks. My Mama always told me where there's a will, there's a way (in other words if you want something bad enough, then find a way to make it happen-don't give up trying).  Meanwhile I began to do research on sock knitting, reading books, patterns for heel techniques (since that seemed to be the part that stumped me in the process), exploring Toes-Up vs. Cuff Down, Magic Loop vs. Double Pointed Needles and watching You Tube videos on sock making. Eventually I felt encouraged to TRY it again.





Perhaps you are looking into learning to knit socks too, if so these are some of the things I've learned about sock knitting.

  • You Tube is your friend.  Videos are plentiful.
  • Ravelry.com is your friend.  Lots of free patterns available, plus tons of inspiration.
  • Big box store yarns are good for learning.  Later invest in good quality yarn by supporting your local yarn store. 
  • Expect to make mistakes, it's okay. Learn from your mistakes.
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP! The first pair of socks that come off your needles will be worth the effort it took and the second pair will go quicker and easier.
  • A word of caution: sock knitting can become an addiction. 

My First pair of hand knit socks
Here's an update on my progress:

I've learned to knit socks! Are they perfect every time? No, but each pair is wonderful in it's own way and I learn something with every pair.  Each time a sock comes off my needles, I immediately cast on the second sock and when I complete a pair of socks I'm totally delighted and cast on for a new pair.  There is always a sock on my needles no matter what else I happen to be knitting.  

Bee Creative! 
Suzy 


P.S.

It pays to never, ever give up on learning something new. Thanks Mama!








4 comments:

Anne Payne said...

I LOVE my socks and wear them often!!! You are amazing!

Breesmimi said...

Anne,

I'm SO happy you love your socks and are wearing them. They were such a pleasure to knit because of the interesting color changes and the self striping pattern in the yarn. I hope you have many years of wearing them and always remember they were knit with lots of love.
xoxo

Jeanna said...

So that is what you've been up to! Congratulations on not giving up. I haven't knitted in many months...there's a story (or two) that I will have to share the next time I see you.

Hope you are having a great summer.

Breesmimi said...

Hey Jeanna! We sure miss you. It will be awhile before we can catch up. Having surgery soon on shoulder. Hope to get back to knitting asap. Hope your summer is going well.