Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Knitting On A Mission

Hello Everyone!

Late last summer in our church newsletter The Messenger, was plea for items of warmth for a village in Guatemala where our mission team was planning to visit in October/November.  The article was asking for donations of school supplies, blankets, hats, and other items that were needed for the families that live in less than ideal conditions.  As I read the article about the families I knew in my heart the need to use my God-given talent of knitting for this purpose. 

 I belong to Heart and Hands Knitters which is a group of ladies that knit prayer shawls for our hospitals, nursing homes, cancer centers, etc.  They also knit hats and baby blankets and other items for the needy.  While I've knitted prayer shawls and blankets, my forte is knitting newborn baby hats for the local hospital. 

But this one day reading that newsletter article I was convinced the need was not just a local one but a global one....to reach out beyond our neighborhoods and local communities to help others in need.

That afternoon as my BFF and I were chatting (via text) I mentioned the mission team was going to Guatemala and what was needed, immediately she was On Board and we determined that we would each knit x number of hats per week and make a donation to the mission! 


That's one of the things I love about my very best friend, she is generous and always willing to jump on board to help with any project.  She is a prolific knitter and has a huge stash of yarn, so she's my go-to gal when it comes to knitting projects, PLUS she's really into knitting HATS!  Our goal was to use leftover yarn and therefore reducing our stash while creating a variety of hat sizes that fit newborn to adult. 

It was a wonderful project that kept us busy, from late summer until October we knitted hats of all sizes and colors, it was a great way to use up leftover yarn.  



Yes,<wink> I did purchase yarn (after I used up a considerable amount of leftovers) and was tickled to discover a wonderful variegated yarn that makes its own pattern.   

The mission trip was postponed until the end of January 2015 and we were able to send off three dozen knitted hats to our brothers and sisters in Guatemala. What a blessing to us to be able to use our hands and hearts to the Glory of God!


If you love to knit or crochet, we'd LOVE it if you would consider joining us by knitting a hat or two for our cause! Just let me know if you are willing to knit/crochet a hat (or two or more! There's no limit here!) and I will send you a pattern or you can use your own.  Sizes most needed are adult and child sizes, any style, pattern or color.  My heartfelt thanks for your consideration of this project.

Happily Knitting,
Suzy  




No comments: